264-267 Tottenham Court Road
The former Horseshoe Hotel at 264-267 Tottenham Court Road was a substantial building as can be seen on the right, but was demolished in 2004. Evidence suggests a date of 1875 for the earliest phase of the building, a range fronting Tottenham Court Road at the northern end of the present site. It has a central tower and friezes depicting Tudor roses, horse shoes and cherubs. A two-storey brick extension was constructed at the rear of the building between 1875 and 1893, when the Horse Shoe Brewery Tap to the south of the hotel, was demolished and a range of iron frame was constructed. The hotel was later extended to the east in 1929 on the yard of the former Meux's Horse Shoe Brewery. The ground and 1st floors contained a grill room & restaurant, and the 2nd floor housed the Masonic Temple with its domed roof decorated with stars. By the early 1980s the hotel had ceased to operate; the basement, ground and 1st floors were split into separate units and converted to restaurants and retail premises.
In 1911 the proprietors were William George & Catherine Fairey. She was the daughter of Margaret Scheffner one of whose sons was married to the daughter of Elizabeth Reffell from the Bermondsey branch. With William & Catherine were their two children; William Henry now working as a railway clerk, and Dorothy Catherine (known as Dollie) who was at school.
The other people who were living at the Horseshoe Hotel illustrates it's size; a manageress, a bar manager, three barmen, eight barmaids, two chambermaids, a slice room maid, two hotel cashiers, a hotel clerk, a linen maid and a night porter.
Horseshore Hotel image by kind courtesy of Matthew Lloyd of the Arthur Lloyd Music Hall and Theatre History Website