History of Reffells Bexley Brewery Ltd.
There has been a history of brewing & selling beer in the Reffell family since the early 1800s. Henry Reffell first came to Bexley in 1876 to start the Bexley Brewery and upon his death in 1886, it passed to his three sons as the Reffell Brothers Brewery. William Robert dealt with the brewing side and Arthur Henry handled the office, the wines and the spirits departments. Their brother John also worked at the brewery although by 1891 he had retired. The business expanded and the sales at that time consisted mainly of beers, wine and spirits to local public houses.
Around the turn of the century many breweries needed to expand and re-equip with modern machinery in order to remain solvent. The Reffell Brothers Brewery was therefore put on the share market, Reffell's Bexley Brewery Limited being registered on 3 December 1898 with a purchase price of £185,000. Unfortunately things did not go well for the limited company initially and soon the direct family connection to the brewery had ended. In common with a number of breweries at that period, the new company met with difficulties and from October 1903 until August 1904 it was controlled by a receiver.
In August 1904 Yorkshire man Percy Hugh Waistell (pictured left) was appointed as Head Brewer, his leadership and the company became inseparable. The brewery began the long road to recovery, but it was not until 1934 that a dividend was finally paid on the Ordinary Shares (surely a well-deserved reward for some very patient people!). In celebration of this achievement all staff were given an extra week's pay. The company always had strong local connections and on the occasion of the incorporation of the Municipal Borough of Bexley in 1937, it presented a silver mace to the Mayor. That year it was noted that three employees had attained 20 years employment with the company, another four had completed 25 years and four more had stayed for over 40 years.
Despite having left the company for a period of six years very early on, Percy Waistell was associated with the company right up until he died in April 1944. He was buried at St Mary Bexley, being transported there on a Reffell Bexley Brewery Ltd. lorry. His son John Kipling Waistell had been a director of the company since 1938 and then become Managing Director.
Further financial pressures grew after the Second World War and Reffells Bexley Brewery Ltd. was bought by Courage & Barclay in June 1956, along with the public houses that it then owned. It closed the following year and around 70 people were made redundant.