Church of St Mary

Bexley, Kent

St Mary BexleyThe parish church of St Mary the Virgin has been a continuous place of Christian worship for over eight hundred years, and probably succeeded an earlier Saxon church on the same site.  This earlier church was mentioned in the Domesday Survey in 1086 as a 'church in Bixle' where it is said that St Paulinus came to preach.

The parish at one time included four of the present neighbouring parishes.  Today the congregation on Sundays is about one hundred at any one time, in an ecclesiastical parish of about five thousand people.  This one time farming community is now completely surrounded by suburban south-east London. 

The centre of Bexley still has village characteristics of which the residents are proud.  The church sits on a relatively large site which is park-like in character.  There are a variety of 17th to 19th century memorials contained both inside the church and in the churchyard. 

There is also an adjacent cemetery which is now maintained by Bexley Council as a conservation area, and this area is where the burials below have taken place.

St Mary Bexley St Mary Bexley Grave of Percy Hugh & Hilda Florence Waistell
Grave of Henry Reffell Grave of Reginald Eustace Arthur Reffell Grave of Reginald Eustace Arthur Reffell

Those known to have been buried here:

Henry Reffell, burial date: 8/1886, age: 69

Mary Ann Reffell, burial date: 1/1890, age: 63

Reginald Eustace Arthur Reffell, burial: 18/3/1902, age: 13

Percy Hugh Waistell, burial date: 4/1944, age: 59

Hilda Florence Waistell, burial date: 20/1/1968, age: 90