Church of St Andrew

Cobham, Surrey

St Andrew CobhamCobham is an ancient settlement recorded in the Domesday Book and the present church dates from the middle of the 12th century. There were extensive restorations in Victorian times, but a large number of earlier features have been kept.

Originally a Chantry Chapel, the Cobham War Memorial Chapel was created in 1919. The block floor of Italian walnut is made of waste from the wood used for making rifle stocks.  Outside the church and originally built as a Mortuary Chapel, is the Chapel of Peace.

Near the west doorway lies the oddly named Kerenhappuch Jelly, whilst in the north-east corner of the church is the tombstone of one David Archibald who it is stated died on '31st February 1880'.

The church is often open to visitors thanks to a rota of friendly volunteers, although the keys can be found at the nearby Church House if found to be locked. The church has eight bells which are often used. It is sometimes alleged that the church is supposed to be haunted by a strange apparition of a blue donkey.

St Andrew Cobham St Andrew Cobham St Andrew Cobham

Those known to have been baptised here:

Mary Reffell, baptism date: 15/3/1736

John Reffell, baptism date: 16/2/1739

William Reffell, baptism date: 19/8/1739

Marmaduke Reffell, baptism date: 17/7/1743

Marmaduke Reffell, baptism date: 1/12/1744

James Reffell, baptism date: 25/1/1745

Mary Reffell, baptism date: 11/1/1795

John Reffell, baptism date: 9/101796

James Reffell, baptism date: 26/10/1800

Richard Reffell, baptism date: 30/3/1802

Frances Reffell, baptism date: 23/10/1803

Those known to have been buried here:

Marmduke Reffell, burial date: 27/8/1743, infant

Richard Reffell, burial date: 24/8/1802, infant

Frances Reffell, burial date: 21/12/1804, age: 1

William Reffell, burial date: 19/9/1767, age: 28