Paddington Old Cemetery in Willesden Lane was opened in 1855, primarily as the name suggests, to bury the dead of Paddington being some way to the north of the area. Unlike a number of London cemeteries, this one is kept in reasonable condition by the London Borough of Brent, who still retain all the burial registers since opening. The 25 acre cemetery is still open for new burials.
At the centre of the cemetery are two grade II listed chapels seen in the top left photograph, constructed from Kentish ragstone and linked together by arches. There are over 500 mature trees here acting as a nature oasis in this heavily-built up area.
There is also an area of war graves, complete with screen wall to those buried elsewhere in the cemetery (lower left and central photographs). However, it is quite unusual in that there is no Cross of Sacrifice, instead there is a stone dedicated to 'the men of Paddington'. In addition, about three quarters of all the stones show a date after the end of the First World War, up to about 1926.
The lower right photograph shows the general area (section 3Y) where John William Reffell, cabman of Paddington, is buried. No headstones survive in this area.
Those known to have been buried here:
John William Reffell, age: 52, burial date: 19/5/1897