The second largest (after Kensal Green) of the 'Magnificent Seven' Cemeteries of London, it was originally founded in 1840. Much of its 52 acres is overgrown, but in many ways it is the most attractive of all the seven.
Much of the decay is due to various proposals to build houses on certain parts of the cemetery, which almost led to closure and was only stopped when Southwark council bought the whole of it for £1 in 1975. The cemetery was reopened in 2003.
The Gothic-style chapel (pictured on the right) was designed by Thomas Little.
The Friends of Nunhead Cemetery (FONC) exists to represent all those with an interest in the cemetery. The group seeks to promote the conservation and appreciation of the cemetery as a place of remembrance, of historic importance and of natural beauty. There is a conducted tour of the cemetery, open to all, on the last Sunday of each month, starting from the Linden Grove gates at 2:15 in the afternoon.
Those known to have been buried here:
Sarah Abel, age: 62, burial date 1923
William John Abel, age: 46, burial date: 3/1934
Robert (Bobby) Abel, age: 79, burial date: 12/1936
Many thanks to Stephen Craven for the photograph of the chapel and Susan Price for the photograph of Bobby's grave.